Sunday, April 5, 2015

NaPoWriMo with Magaly Guerrero, day 4: Feeling so Deeply it Hurts

(Yes, I skipped day 3. This is my attempt to catch up. I may yet go back to day 3. Yes, I am a time traveler. No, you may not hop a ride in my TARDIS.)

From Magaly: "On day 4 of NaPoWriMo with Magaly Guerrero 2015, I wish you to write a poem that shows how an emotion might increase physical pain, and vice versa."


Exile

Shake your head and turn away.
Close your ears to what I could not say.
Blind your eyes to what was right in front of you.
Blame me
Deride me
Pity me

Go on, it's only words
flung blindly from your hearts
oozing with ill-conceived emotions
and birthed from misbegotten loins.
Still, they slice like the knife
and burn like poison
and sear like fire.

I never lied, not once,
except to tell you I was just fine,
except when I told you
nothing was wrong.
Let's be honest now
you didn't want to hear it.
My truth
would have cut you deeper
than your words behind my back 
will ever scar my flesh
(and you should know, it will scar).

I embrace the torment
of your misunderstandings, 
flung like bullets through my unprotected Self.
I take it in and place it
alongside my own
so they won't be lonely.
I wrap myself around the pain
and keep going,
just as I've always done.
Because it's the only thing
I know how to do. 
Because it's the only thing
you've ever known how to let me do.

Until now.
I stand, I burn, I breathe
Take it in, transmute it, make it mine.
By Fire and Earth and Air
Transform woe into weal,
Forged, grounded, carried aloft.
By Sword, Stone, and Feather
I stand here as I am, to offer it up
-my own shed skin, rent asunder-
a sacrifice to show the world
(should it care to see)
that things would have been so much better
had only "I" become "we."

14 comments:

  1. I can see the alchemy of the soul taking place through this process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the visual comes across. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. This is wonderfully earthy, human and of the soul... Transformation and adaptation are tools that almost always work when we are faced with painful situations that scratch our insides and out visible bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a thing doesn't transform, or adapt, or both... then it dies, whether human heart or ecosystem. We are all metaphors for each other, microcosm and macrocosm. Thank you, Magaly. :) <3

      Delete
  3. This is powerful and beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebirth, but still those scars remain, I totally am in awe of this work! Wham hit me and resonates, fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're feeling it like I do, then I have woven my words well. Thank you, Shelle. :)

      Delete
  5. Human emotion pours from your poem. Pain can feel twice as sharp when those we love just not to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delicious little swirl. I like the way the pace changes. And I love the feeling of transformation. Very well written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Mr. Marsten. :) I like working twists into my writing, whether stories or poems.

      Delete