Friday, April 3, 2015

NaPoWriMo with Magaly Guerrero, day 2: Creativity and Pain

"How do you use (or imagine others can use): Creativity to make Pain bearable? Today’s 'poem should explore creativity as a healing salve, as a shield, as a weapon, or as a negotiation method to use when dealing with physical and/or psychological pain.'"

I don't live with physical pain like many I know. Magaly, my Dragon, his father, my grandmother, my dad.... and others. I have had pain: migraines, birthing pains, surgery recoveries. I cannot begin to imagine the insanity of living with pains like those every day.

There are pains I know well, however; pains of the heart and mind. I'm a mother, I'm an artist, I am a woman... who was it that once said something along the lines of "women bear the pains of the world" or suchlike? Women know pain... wise women embrace it and turn it to their purpose, to make something beautiful out of something horrific. The Japanese know the concept. I'm sure you've seen this meme floating around the Internet, or one similar:


To be a woman, an artist, a mother, is to live this idea, every day. We have three daughters. The first I gave birth to at seventeen - both joyous and terrible an occasion. The second was years later, and a happier occasion, as was the third... though all three were unplanned, they were gifts. The elder two live with my ex-husband, the youngest with us. Long story short, I didn't have the money or means to make life turn out the way I wanted it to, the way I believe would be best for my children. The ex had the money to make his ideas happen instead, so here we are.

This is about that first child, and the others - they were all C-section:

Beautiful/Broken
Breathe
Drift
Pain...
fades
Don't push, not yet  
Breathe again
Smile
Don't cry 
Fear... don't fear
Don't think
Just breathe
Fourteen hours
Weakened
Broken
Knife.
Living cry
Small cry
Sweet cry
Survival
She lives
She breathes
Joy
Terror
Suckle
Cuddle
Rest
Live.

5 comments:

  1. I believe the most wonderful crafters are those who build beauty out of pain. You've made miracles; even when ripped to pieces and cried dried, you "live". And that, my friend, is crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is achingly tender and sad. And personal, too. I feel a little wrong reading it, as though I were spying. That's a sign of how well it was written. Well done, Lady. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thanks, Mr. Marsten. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. The pain of a mother is echoed in your words, the birth maybe the start but with life comes fear and joy combined, both of which a mother is never free off. Love your words and imagery.

    ReplyDelete