Friday, October 17, 2014

Crafting Blooming Howls: That Old Cat Magic

This is a little bit of poetry I've been crafting on and off for... uh... some years now. I'm not happy with it still.  I haven't quite figured out how to get it from where it is to where it needs to be. I either need to take some away, reword some, or add some...

I have a melody that runs through my head when I read it... a slow, sexy, smoky-bar-jazz melody, with a dark, rich N'awlins Creole voice singing the words. So maybe "poem" isn't the right moniker, but many poems become songs, don't they?

Tell me if y'all can hear the jazz, honeychile...

There’s somethin’ just a little strange
Waftin’ through the air
Dark outside, moon’s up for fair
Lil’ shadow prowlin’ round
Rise to moon, ‘til sun’s gone down

It’s that old cat magic
Black as night, green as grass
It’s that old cat magic
Soft and hard, slinky like jazz
Sharp and sweet, blood runs hot
Tell me once, tell me again
Whisperin’ soft to the wind
It’s that old cat magic
Come driftin’ by again

It was the old days
Everythin’ was sunny and gold
Eyes glowed free and claws stepped light
Not a mouse or a rat to be seen in sight
Goddess laughed, bright eyes smiled
Eyes that shone, green as the Nile

Temple bells soundin’ far and wide
Little black masks and tails confide
Sooty paws held aloft, blue eyes sparklin’ in the shade
Secrets of the Gods, ours to keep
We’re guardians and warriors, don’t you know?
Best be off now, for we protect our own!

Lady Bright, in lands to the north
Begged a boon, from a couple of cats, of course!
Pull my wheels and I’ll feed you well
Won’t you fight beside me
Against Fenrir and his hell?

Across the sea, Highlands growin’ green
There lived a beast both fair and mean
Huntin’ round and round great circles of stone
Teeth and claws like giant thorns
Great wild eyes gatherin’ the storms

Witch’s broom, of cinnamon brush
Brings a purr within the hush
Candles and cards, Circle cast in fire
Smell the static, fur set to flight
Stars reflect like a thousand lights

Memory holds, in blood and bone
Hardwired in to whiskers twitchin’
Mouse will hide, birds all a-quiet
Boneyard silenced, when velvet paws alight
Teeth are bared, laughin’ and whole
Eyes ablaze in green and gold
Shine like jewels, glowin’ hard and cold
With ne’er a blink, seein’ right into your soul

Better keep your eyes on your steps, Jack
Cause you never quite know where that lil cat is at
Eyes’ll flash, claws and teeth a-gleam
and then you’ll see
That little black cat is me.

27 comments:

  1. I am getting the jazz vibe you were going for :) Nice stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it comes through the screen properly. Thanks, Kestril.

      Delete
  2. I read it silently. Then I read it aloud, but like if it were prose. Then I experienced it while letting the poetry trickle in... I got on my feet and paced the room while I read--I heard the song: Jazz with mojo in it. It is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you enjoyed it, witchy woman. One of these days I may try to find someone who can sing it the way it's meant...

      Delete
  3. Black cat...sexy music...yes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely poem-song. I could definitely hear the jazz rhythm, especially in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts to lose the melody in places because of my phrasing. I'm still working on that part. Glad you enjoyed it, Ms Mis. <3

      Delete
  5. I think you have done an amazing job.
    You are perhaps overthinking the "doneness" of it.
    You should be proud of what you have written and perhaps can allow for an additional stanza to be written now and again as the muse strikes. Don't go looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always working at the "doneness" of my written pieces like worrying at a dry bone. I read this and think that the phrasing could be tweaked to fit the rhythm better, or things like that. I leave it alone for months and come back, and shift words here and there. My Muse strikes with Chaos in her fingertips - never know when or how.

      Thank you very much, I'm glad it has been so enjoyed!

      Delete
  6. Slinky and sly and infused with a tune you can just almost make out. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, fabulous, embodies a uniqueness that is all Orleans... Now I need to go get me some gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my words can inspire food cravings, then I know I've written well. Thanks, Shelle! :D

      Delete
  8. Ouuuu love love love it! Very dark and voodooey (not a word but we're making it one) with a little bit of sparkly jazzy shine!

    www.broomsticksandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voodooey... delight. Seems like a dark, rich chocolatey dessert. Thank you, Jennifer! <3

      Delete
  9. goodness me but this does have a sexy, mystery strain of music compelling folks to read on. Good words, great attitude.....love the N'awlins feel. Thanks for sharing your work. Love it, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Oma Linda! I am thrilled that the reading of it brings its intentions through the screen.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad our cats have not yet heard of "cat magic"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I knew a few who might have, but I could never quite be sure.

      Delete
  11. Now if I just had some red beans and rice. This is so very melodic when read. This part here would make a wonderful chorus!
    "It’s that old cat magic
    Black as night, green as grass
    It’s that old cat magic
    Soft and hard, slinky like jazz
    Sharp and sweet, blood runs hot
    Tell me once, tell me again
    Whisperin’ soft to the wind
    It’s that old cat magic
    Come driftin’ by again"
    Wonderful! Enjoyed it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, then it comes across correctly. I had originally intended that part to indeed be the chorus, if it were ever put to music. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, Sharon!

      Delete
  12. Dearest White Fox, I was going to send out your book winnings today but noticed that I must have accidentally deleted the email you sent to me with your address! Please send it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On its way, Ms Mis. And thank you! Looking forward to it!

      Delete