Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Night of the Cheshire Cat

So I had this grand vision of presenting a couple short stories knocking around in my head, a little bit at a time, for my dear Magaly's October Blog Party this year. I had them all plotted out, I figured I'd not have any problems with a few hundred words at a time... I was all excited about it. I would start with The Darkness Eaters... "In order to better shine the Light, we must sometimes consume the Dark," and if that didn't take all the days to finish, I was going to wrap up with a mini story about a vampiress who makes a deal with Death, and get myself primed for NaNoWriMo in the process.


And then Dragon's Dad's health took a turn for the worse, and now we're on watch, for the possibility of needing to take him to the hospital. So I'm afraid to sit down and write, or do anything that takes more than superficial focus, for fear of being dragged away from it by unpleasant circumstances.

However, that just means that I will have to postpone the story writing for later tonight, when the little one and the ill one are not requiring constant alertness. So, instead, for your reading pleasure today, I'm going to cheat just a little and present an old poem of mine (also posted here) that I think will dive right into Magaly's theme with wild abandon and join in the procession like we're following Bacchus into the night...


Mischeif bright and dark
shadows deep and whirling
'tis a fae night, an elder night, so hark
be wary, for the leprechauns are stirring
dancing and singing, bawdy and loud
magic they'll tweak and deviltry they'll summon
'tis the night of the Crescent Moon, my dear
'tis the Night of the Cheshire Cat

Twisting shapes form the foggy night
The grinning moon glows bright
flitting here and there
fly the faeries, ever fair
pinch your ears and pull your hair
they'll tease you down to their fair hell
'tis the night of the Crescent Moon, my dear
'tis the Night of the Cheshire Cat.

Wild woods, wild souls bleed light
wild forest hearts beat in tandem
woodland feet dance in step
satyr's hooves and feline paws
notes of flute and beats of drum
carry the tune and fight the dawn
'tis the night of the Crescent Moon, my dear
'tis the Night of the Cheshire Cat...

16 comments:

  1. I love that poem. Never heard it before! Thank you for sharing. Please come by and enter my giveaway: http://www.sanctispirituscoaching.com/2013/10/the-dark-art-of-unfolding-rock-your-art.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for commenting! It is one I wrote myself.

      Delete
  2. Your energies are directed where they should be. Blessings to your family.
    I do like your poem....carry the tune and fight the dawn has such power in the saying of it. I hope all works out for you and yours, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Oma Linda, for the blessings and the compliments. Most of my energies have been directed at being my Dragon's anchor, as his father does not like having me around much when he's feeling ill... and you're right, that's where they should be. <3

      Delete
  3. I hope Ryans Dad is better. Maybe Ryan can be on watch so you can write. But I guess you would have to be ready to drive. Hope you all are well. Let me know when you pick up your package. Your writings will be sorely missed if you cannot partake! Love, the wicked one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha, I tried to leave a post previously but somehow couldn't and that whould be stinky because I want to let you know how much I enjoyed 'Night of the Cheshire Cat' and hope things are brighter & healthier real soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad you overcame the internet gremlins, Shelle! Thank you for the compliments and well wishes, they are much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. I love the verse you have posted and hope your dad gets well soon. Family always come first.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, The Cheshire Cat would love this. I can just hear it in his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope he would! I would not like to be on the receiving end of his mischief. ;) Thank you.

      Delete
  7. First, I hope your loved one feels better soon. I totally understand the needing to stay at full alert.

    "fly the faeries, ever fair
    pinch your ears and pull your hair"

    "Wild woods, wild souls bleed light"

    There is a visual shared in those three lines that make me want to write story after story. And yes, they would dark and wild and full of magic live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our worst dilemma at this point is that if we take him to a hospital, there is every likelihood that they will want him in an assisted living facility, and that brings its own set of complications...

      I can see a Bacchian procession, with the Cheshire Cat at Bacchus' side leading the nymphs and satyrs a mad merry chase... Can you imagine a conversation between the Cheshire Cat and Bacchus? hmm...

      Delete
    2. Cheshire Can and Bacchus? Oh my, I hope they only drink tea.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad for the cheat because this was a delightful poem to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth, I was rather pleased to be able to share it as my kickoff. Thank you, Kestril! :)

      Delete