Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bone of my Bone

I believe I mentioned in my first post, Down to the Bone, that I use bones and antler in my Art. I find a deep, visceral pleasure in it. Not, perhaps, the same sort of pleasure in using gems and precious metals, but abiding all the same. Bones speak. They whisper and sometimes sing. They tell me what should be painted on their faces and I comply, with brush and ink as best I can.

And, before anyone asks, every piece I use is either deadfall *or* sourced from respectful and conscientious hunters.

This, then, is my Arthur and Guenevere set. It's painted on slices of deer leg bone with India Ink. They are strung on brown cotton cord, and the clasp is copper toned lead-free pewter.

The lettering is Ogham, an ancient Celtic alphabet, for those of you who aren't familiar with it. The spelling of Guenevere is actually Gwenwhyfar, on this piece. If you didn't already know, the story of Arthur is based in a much older Welsh myth, and this spelling is derived from the original. I personally find Gwenhwyfar to be more visually appealing when a written word...

Yes, the story of Arthur and Gwenwhyfar was a sad, tragic one. So why create a couple's set based on them?

Because they shared purpose, and they built something wonderful together, and there's no saying you can't one day change the ending of the story, right?

This piece is for sale, if you're interested. Also, I do custom work very like this, on bone, antler, polyclay, or silver. Comment or message Twinflame Studios' Facebook or email and we can work out details.


2 comments:

  1. When I was researching bone lore, I found an article that said that in the olden days many cultures believed that the soul stayed in the bone after people died. You reminded me of that detail when you said that the bones "whisper and sometimes sing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't that why many old cultures burned their dead? so the souls would be released...

      But then that's also why many buried their dead, to return the souls to the earth.

      Hmmmm.

      Delete